Saturday, May 26, 2007

Out of Touch

First, I want to apologize for being out of touch since my last post almost two months ago. I have been very busy working, traveling, and training. I know it isn't a good enough excuse, but its the truth.

Over the past two months, I have been flying back and forth to Michigan for business. I am involved in a global project that is consuming a majority of my time these days. Even though I have been traveling, I have been keeping up with my training routine.

Amongst the many trips to Michigan, I was able to escape with my family to Oregon and Washington for my sister-in-laws wedding. My girls were flower girls in the wedding. They really enjoy being involved. It was a great trip and we had a great time being together as a family. The wedding was in Stevenson, Washington at the Skamania Lodge. They had some walking trails there, so I kept up with my training by doing a 10 mile trail run. It was different and not on my normal training plan, but it was great to add some variety and I had fun doing it.

Well, let me catch you up to date. I was unable to participate in the La Jolla Half Marathon as scheduled. I learned my lesson for not signing up for an event in time. I was going to treat it as a training run anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Since then I have been focused on the Rock 'n Roll Marathon coming up next weekend in San Diego. This is going to be my first full marathon. The training has been pretty intense. It amazes me that my weekly long runs have been longer than any distance that I have completed in any competition. In fact, last weekend I completed 18 miles which was my longest non-stop run to date. I have done a couple 20+ mile weekends, but never completed in a single non-stop run of this distance. Since then, I have tapered down and will be running minimal miles this week leading up to Sunday.

Sunday is also my wife's birthday. We will be spending the entire weekend (without the kids) in San Diego. We are planning to celebrate her birthday Friday night and I have schedule a spa appointment for her on Saturday morning.

Wish me luck and I will report my results upon completion. I promise.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Wow! I am impressed. Good Luck...and today would be the 3rd, so Congrats!!! I can't imagine running that long, that is awesome, good job!!! Happy Birthday Jenn!! Have a good weekend!

FunFitandHappy said...

How was the Rnr? I did it last year as my 1st marathon.